- Displaying trees in water in a traditional reservoir type stand is the most effective way of maintaining their freshness and minimizing needle loss.
- All trees should get a fresh cut just before it gets placed into the stand. Our NYC TREES delivery teams make a fresh cut before bringing the tree inside your home or business!
- Once the tree is in your home, place water inside the stand immediately.
- If your tree is not drinking water upon installation, we recommend pouring hot (not boiling) water in the stand as this can help break up sap deposits in the trunk which may be preventing the tree from adequately drinking. When the trees go from being outside in the cold winter air to heated homes it is often a shock to their systems. If your tree does not begin drinking immediately, don’t panic. Oftentimes, it takes 24-48hrs for them to adjust to their new environment before they begin to drink.
- Drilling a hole in the base of the trunk does NOT improve water uptake.
- Keep trees away from major sources of heat (fireplaces, heaters, heat vents, direct sunlight). Lowering the room temperature will slow the drying process, resulting in less water consumption each day.
- Check the stand daily to make sure that the level of water does not go below the base of the tree. If the water level is low, refill with room temperature water.
- When placing lights on your tree, always use lights that produce low heat, such as miniature lights.
- Always inspect light sets prior to placing them on the tree. If worn, replace with a new set. Check the box for the maximum number of lights you can sting together and do not overload. Always turn off the tree lights when leaving the house or when going to bed.